Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Review: Words of Smiths

Author: Various
Language: English
Pages: 122
Price: Rs.200
Publisher: All About Books Global

ISBN Number: 9788192569017

A different city and a weirdly good weather- missing my siblings- my fellow guitars- but books are not doubt cool companions. A friend from another metro texted sometime back- “food for your brainy strings- inside “Words of Smiths”- presented by Wizkonect”.- Thus, I ignored some of my best buys of the month and picked up my review copy.


This not something new- to declare a contest and then award the best entries by bringing out a book with their works printed in it. A couple of other charged up stalwarts of passionate poets and writers are doing it too. What should set any such book apart from these randomly generous picks – is the content. Indeed (just like my text friend had suggested)- I can turn one or two poems into songs. And
“Dancing with you”- by Karan Bhargava- tops the chart. “How Often- by Wishaysh Bansal” is more like a banging chant- hard hitting and repetitive but truthful to the core. Though nothing too over the top. But even simple words make great differences- don’t they?

The title “Insomnia” interested my numb but pathetically sleepless brain and I followed the paved words of Abhiraj Poddar. Must say- some words are truly meant for those who live through such transitory phases.
“The darkness lays still
But the peace does not come
This sensation is burning me
It craves for your touch…”
Even as I am typing it- it is getting difficult for me to concentrate. The above mentioned lines- have a strange magnetic pull of their own.
Some of the other poems can be mentioned in passing- “who am I???” by Ritika Rana Dhamija, “La promesse” by Ishan Singh and “with them closed” by Sneha Sarcar.
I think I must applaud the effort of the organizers, and the contributors urge to submit their best pieces- and saying this- we all must remember that  even the best can be bettered…2.5/5 on the whole!


About the book:


WizKonect introduces “Wordsmith” – a national level poetry contest. First in its own kind, “Wordsmith” works towards bringing Indian poems and poets into limelight. The book "word of smiths" comprises of the best entries of this contest. In the dictionary, the most beautiful word, asides from God and love, is poetry. Poetry is beauty and beauty is endless, therefore, poetry is endlessly beautiful. Magical integration of words which pass on great feelings to the readers. Poetry in India has been emerging and has recently produced some fine performers. Its new and yes, it brings a new light with it. The words that flow out of heart, put down on a piece of paper, bring to you the pensive mood of a pondering mind. India is a land blessed with culture, spirit, literature, knowledge and a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment